Saturday, January 4, 2014

New year, new recipes

We've been snowed in for the last few days and it has been quite cold. So we've been having fun inside building snow trucks and working on learning how to walk.

DSC_2098
DSC_2056
DSC_2066
DSC_2060
DSC_2187

This one is a riot:



It was nice to stay in pajamas for a few days but hard not to go stir crazy.

DSC_2267
DSC_2335
DSC_2366

DSC_2515

2014 has been awesome so far. Sean and I have implemented a new budget for extra savings and are having a great time cooking new recipes with fresher food. My goals for this year are to feel healthier and to simplify. Four days in and I've been feeling amazing. I woke up this morning feeling human again. No pain in my legs, zero exhaustion. I can't remember the last time I felt this perfect. And Sean and I are like newlyweds. Our kids are asleep in their beds by 7PM and Sean and I cuddle up and watch Weeds at night. Last night I even enjoyed a beer. I felt twenty.

Here is Kate today getting bundled up to go grocery shopping.

DSC_2602

We made pizza pasta in the crockpot and then went outside for a few minutes.

DSC_2687

*

Crockpot Pizza Pasta

1 lb ground beef
1 6oz package sliced peperoni
1 26oz jar pizza sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1 16oz uncooked rigatoni pasta
1/4 cup chopped onion


Brown ground beef and onion, drain, mix everything in the crockpot. Cook 1-3 hours on high or 3-5 hours on low.


*

This recipe isn't exactly healthy, but it's fun and new so we're expanding our horizons. We're making a fresh salad with it to balance out the bad with the good.

I've discovered a really neat food planning app called Food On the Table. It makes shopping and meal planning easy.

It was too cold to be outside this morning, dangerously cold, but later in the day brought 25° and so I took Dylan outside.

DSC_2781
DSC_2774

We came inside to find these two cuties relaxing on the couch.

DSC_2920

I also cut off data to my iPhone and switched my phone line to an old basic flip phone. My iPhone is still fully functional--aside from text messages and phone calls--when I'm in a WiFi area (which is always, practically) and now we save $30 extra a month. I'm kind of on a saving money kick. I've given way too many things to charity this year that I bought but didn't use and so I'm determined in 2014 to appreciate what I have. I've already got everything I need right in front of me.