Friday, November 8, 2013

The Honesty Room

We are on a heck of a ride in the no-sleep train lately. I don't know what it is but the kids are waking up every two hours or so.  And then Dylan's at this weird age where he doesn't really nap but some days after school tuckers him out he comes home and sleeps for the rest of the day.   I let Katie sleep with a crocheted blanket in her crib last night because it was a bit cold and she slept much better when she had a security blanket to hold.  So maybe our sleepless nights are looking up. 

It's been twenty years since Dar Williams released my favorite folk album, The Honesty Room. I had this album on cassette and it was the reason I fell in love with folk music. I'm not the best at guitar but I tried to play "The Babysitter's Here" this morning when Dylan was in school. 




What I love most about this video that I didn't notice while I was playing is that Katie is so clearly saying Up Up Up to me during the song, whether she understands it or not.  So here's to Dar Williams and twenty years of great influential music-making, and to babies who are constantly learning and growing.  

And here's hoping for a good night's sleep, kiddos.