Tuesday, April 30, 2013

RAIU - Radioiodine uptake scan

Today was my uptake scan to measure my thyroid function and determine what dose of I-131 I will be taking on Thursday. I'm getting weaker by the day and could barely stand up this morning so Sean was my crutch as we walked through the halls of the hospital.

Untitled

I took two tests today. One measured thyroid function (left), one was a whole body scan to detect the radioiodine I-123 I took yesterday (right).

Untitled

A normal thyroid function is between 10-30%. Because I had a total thyroidectomy there should be very little thyroid function left. My levels were at 5.98% and the tech said that seemed pretty high. So I assume I will be taking a higher dose of radioiodine to ablate all leftover thyroid cells. That worries me a bit. How much cancer is actually left?

Untitled
Untitled

The full body scan was a bit intimidating because it was 30 minutes long and very claustrophobic for me. I had to close my eyes when it paused over my face for 5 and 6 minutes at a time. The hardest part is that your neck is positioned in a weird way--with head tilted back--so you can't really swallow. Not so much fun.

Untitled

The full body scan showed lots of radiation popping up in my intestinal tract which would make sense because I took the radioiodine orally. I felt like I was in the Princess Bride lying on the table being subjected to the life sucking machine. Since the camera measures gamma rays--think: the opposite of a MRI which gives out radiation--I could actually feel it taking some of my energy when it was stationed over my face. An odd feeling for sure.

My first instinct was to panic and ask all sorts of questions about what was showing up on the scan. Understandably I have a big fear that the cancer metastasized in other parts of my body. Please let this be it, please let my cancer battles be over after the RAI this week. I don't feel strong enough to fight it off if it has spread elsewhere.

Sean was cool as a cucumber. So even-keeled. Exactly what I need. He worries when there is reason to worry. I worry over whether or not there could be a reason to worry.

Untitled

So now the next plan of action is to take a pregnancy test at my local blood drawing facility tomorrow and then get admitted to the hospital for the actual RAI on Thursday morning. I'm ready to start feeling better soon.