Sunday, April 14, 2013

Low Iodine Diet (LID): Day 1

Desktop39

So. Day 1. I'm doing OKay so far but I feel like I felt when I gave up smoking cigarettes although this time I'm craving milk hardcore. Between Dylan and myself we drink about a gallon of milk every day and a half. Maybe it is because I am hypocalcemic and crave that calcium. Maybe I just love milk. But I can promise that when I am finally able to eat normally again my first meal will consist of milk and maybe chocolate.

Today I ate:

  • Oatmeal with raisins 
  • Strawberries and blueberries with sugar
  • A peanut butter and jelly sandwich with natural peanut butter and iodine-free bread 
  • Pasta salad (whole wheat pasta with white vinegar, olive oil, spices, sugar, and salt)
  • Motts for Tots juice
  • Ants on a log 
  • Caffeine-free coke
  • Homemade oatmeal raisin cookies
My stomach hurts but I have more energy.  I will go through thyroid hormone withdrawal in about a week and I may start to feel less peppy, but today I was actually able to have a dance party with Dylan and Brie and my heart didn't feel strained as it normally does on my medication.  Once I get past this milk addiction I will be just fine.  Again, a big thank you to all of you friends and family for your support.  A big shout-out to my husband who listened to me start to feel sad about not being able to eat the foods I love and picked me up with his unending optimism and love several times today.