Monday, April 8, 2013

Do-over

I should've known to hit the reset button on today the second I woke up to the sound of Dylan thudding onto the floor of our bedroom. He didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed, he woke up off of the bed.

It's only 11AM and already I am counting the seconds until Sean pedals home from work. Katie wants to be held. Dylan is a madman -- spilling water, throwing clothes, hitting dogs, hitting me, screaming, kicking, disobeying -- a definite two-year-old today. He's hungry, tired, getting over a cold. The house is a mess. The weather is perfect and yet there is so much to do here before we can head outdoors.

Life as a stay at home parent is not easy.

I put Dylan in his room for some quiet time and he is upstairs singing his little heart out while I feed Kate and let my body take a break from the chaos. He is singing Mrs McGrath and suddenly I'm smiling.

I'd better go get him. We both deserve a second chance at this day.