Saturday, April 13, 2013

Countdown to RAI

I start my low iodine diet tomorrow so today I am rummaging through ThyCa's 123-paged LID cookbook. Tonight we will take a trip to Whole Foods or Trader Joes and buy a ton of iodine-free ingredients. I think I will miss milk and Reece's peanut butter cups most.

I'm still feeling bummed about having to go on this diet and then having to go into isolation in a few weeks, but I'm optimistic (so far) that I can do this.

Here are my guidelines and restrictions for when I come home from the hospital. I will have to stay someplace else--with family or at a hotel--until the whole week is over because I can't be around the kids without holding them and I don't want to endanger them in any way:
  • Minimize contact (less than 3 feet or 0.6 meter for more than 1 hour each day) with everyone for the first five days, and with small children or pregnant women for eight days. 
  • Do not sit next to someone in an automobile for more than one hour. Sleep in a separate room and use separate bath linen and launder these and underclothing separately for one week. 
  • Wash your hands with soap and plenty of water every time you use the toilet. 
  • Rinse the sink and tub thoroughly after using them. 
  • Use separate eating utensils or disposable eating utensils. Wash eating utensils separately for one week. 
  • Do not prepare food for others. 
  •  Flush toilet 2-3 times after use for two weeks after discharge. 
  •  Males should sit when urinating to avoid splashing for one week. 
  •  Discuss with your doctor how long you should wait before starting a pregnancy after your treatment (usually at least two months for males and six months for females). If you are breastfeeding, it should be discontinued, but can be resumed for subsequent childbirths.


Tomorrow I stop taking all thyroid hormones which will put me through withdrawal and cause me to feel hypothyroid. It will be nice not to have to keep an empty stomach twice a day like I do now in order to take my pills, but I'm going to feel exhausted and probably emotional.

I need to start thinking on the bright side of things. I can totally do this.