Monday, January 21, 2013

Liebster award!

My new friend Sara at mrsdixxxon.blogspot.com nominated me for a Liebster award! I stumbled on her blog recently when I Googled thyroid cancer because she also had (notice I say HAD because she is now clear of cancer!!!!!) papillary thyroid cancer. There is something about sharing a diagnosis that brings people together. Even though we've never met I found myself holding my breath for her on days that she had to deal with cancer-related tests and procedures. Who says you can't love a stranger?



Anyhow, Sara summed up this award best in her post so I will just plagiarize her in its description:

"So this award is for new up-and-coming blogs with less than 200 followers. I am supposed to put 11 facts about myself, answer 11 questions that the person who nominated me asked me, and then chose up to five other blogs to nominate for the award, and then ask them 11 new questions :) Fun fun fun!"

Sara's questions for me:

1. Do you prefer Elvis or the Beatles?

The Beatles. For sure. Although Elvis' Fools Rush In is Sean and my song. It was our first slow dance together at a biker bar as someone sang it terribly on the karaoke machine. But I grew up listening to Beatles records so they win. My favorite Beatle is Paul, my favorite song is Let It Be--because I love the story behind it--closely followed by Golden Slumbers



   
2. What is your favorite movie?

This one is embarrassing. My favorite movie is Disney's Hocus Pocus. I've loved it since it came out in 1993 and I can recite every word. Therefore, you never want to watch this movie with me because I am extremely annoying.

3. What is your biggest pet peeve?

Spelling mistakes. Even my own. I can't stand quiet vs quite, tomarrow not tomorrow, too to and two, cemetary, awe when meaning aw...it goes on. Since my iPhone autocorrects everything I always have typos when using it and I literally get embarrassed. It's the English major in me.

4. What do you smell like?

I just asked Sean what I smell like and he said, "poop". Which can't be true. For perfume I usually wear Victoria Secret's Love Spell or vanilla. When I'm feeling nervous I wear lavender oil behind my ear. My favorite ever perfume was Grass by GAP but they stopped making that years ago.

5. What is one talent you wish you had?

I wish I could clap with one hand. My stepbrother Louis can and it's awesome.

6. If you could be reincarnated any kind of animal, what would you come back as?

A three-toed sloth. Because they are fabulous.

7. What motivates you to get out of bed in the morning?

This guy...yelling, "Mama?!".

DSC_0381

8. What are you obsessed with?

Jackson Browne. Documenting everything. Photography.

9. What store could you blow an entire paycheck at?

Target.

10. Do you have any phobias?

I'm socially claustrophobic. I panic if I feel like I can't leave a situation. Dentists appointments, for instance, scare the living shit out of me because I cannot simply get up and walk out.

11. What did you want to be when you grew up?

Married with kids. Corny but true. I could give two rats about what job I have as long as I am happy in love.

*******


LJ Prariedog

11 Lauren facts:

  • I've been blogging since 2002.  When I started blogging I put absolutely everything I felt online, sans offending or gossiping about people IRL.  I'm much more reserved now because I've gone through a thousand episodes of drama which stemmed from something I wrote.  Mainly I write for myself because I like to be able to go back years in my life and know exactly what I was feeling at the time.  I also blog for five special people in my life who I don't see often and we can keep in touch through the power of the internet. (Hi guys!)
  • I'm skinny and my feelings get hurt when people talk about how skinny I am.  Not overwhelmingly hurt, but I do become self conscious when I eat out because I notice people watch what I eat as if they are trying to see if I have an eating disorder.  I don't.  I eat like a pig at home.  I eat anything I want--junk food mostly--I just can't gain weight.  I would never bring up a person's weight , especially if they are overweight, so I don't understand why people always bring it up to me; I can't help being skinny.
  • My favorite color is a spring green.  I always thought my favorite color was blue until I looked around my house and realized that absolutely everything is green.
  • I know the Preamble to the Constitution and the poem Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost by heart.
  • I have one tattoo.  A Boston Red Sox logo.  Baseball symbolizes summer and childhood memories of watching Red Sox games with my dad.  The Red Sox are also the reason Sean and I are together today, if he had been wearing a Yankees hat when we met I would've never called him to go on a date.  He has good taste in baseball.
  • My house is always messy but I know exactly where everything is.
  • I can memorize weird things like my husband's social security number and our ten-digit WiFi passcode but my short term memory is absolutely horrendous.
  • I talk to my mother and my father-in-law almost everyday.  More than I talk to any of my friends--aside from my best friend Sarah who lives in England, we text daily.
  • I am addicted to hot baths and I love foot rubs.
  • I write in all caps because one of my high school teachers did the same and I thought it looked awesome.  I also use a double space after every period, although single space is the correct method in typography.  It's habit.
  • I play piano and guitar and played the glockenspiel in 8th grade marching band.  Sean makes fun of me for that constantly.
*****

Oddly enough most of the blogs I read, although public, are written by friends who don't want their relatives stumbling on them which kind of defeats the purpose of awarding a Liebster award, but this looks so fun so I want to participate without giving away their links.

I'm going to nominate these wonderful bloggers, and am only posting their links if they are listed in their Twitter profiles:

Laura @ http://www.theeverydayjoys.com/
Sari @ http://www.thegeekinside.blogspot.com/
Siobhan @ http://www.ittybit.blogspot.com/
Amy @ Blog unlisted
Gina @ Blog unlisted

Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by nominating them, but I love these five blogs and I'm sure you will, too.

11 questions for my friends: 
  1. What is your favorite season?
  2. What do you love most about being a mom?
  3. Who is your #1 celebrity crush?
  4. What is your first memory?
  5. Who is your idol?
  6. What inspires you to write/blog?
  7. Favorite ice cream flavor?
  8. What is your favorite method of relaxtion?
  9. Where would you live if you could chose anywhere in the world?
  10. Early riser or night owl?
  11. What is your favorite book?

Stop over to Sara's blog and check her out, she's way fun!