Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Autobiographical

I do a lot of documenting in my life. I blog, I Facebook, I photograph everything. Usually I don't care much if there is an audience following my narrative, although I do try to censor myself to an extent, because I confess that I don't blog or Facebook or tweet for anyone but myself.

Mostly because I don't want to forget anything.

At night in bed in the dark I go through my pictures and writing, watch old videos and read old statuses.

Before I crawl into bed I sneak into Dylan's room to check his thermostat and humidifier and shut off the light to his fish tank. I almost always snap a picture of him asleep surrounded by his toys and trucks and dolls because I want to remember that moment in the dark forever. And as soon as I am in bed I look at the photo of my slumbering boy that I have just captured and my heart swells.

Sometimes I wonder if I bombard my audience with too much of my life, too many photos of my child. I'm sure many roll their eyes at the sight of another sleeping Dylan photo. But I can't help it.

I love him too much to take a single second for granted.