Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Trip stories: Day 1

This 4-day trip to our favorite cabin in Vermont was Dylan and Kate's first vacation, and we packed as if we were staying for three weeks. Apparently a two-year-old and a baby need a lot of stuff. We left Friday morning.

Katie day 151 in cabin in vt

Dylan loved his new backpack filled with books and toys.

Katie day 151 in cabin in vt1

Both kids were fantastic for the five-hour drive. Dylan played with reusable truck stickers and watched movies, and Kathleen mostly slept. I sat in the back with them for a while to feed Kate and we watched Toy Story 2 together. Even though we stopped at the Vermont welcome center, Dylan is still new at this potty training and was afraid to go in public so he ended up holding it for the whole ride. Poor kid.

DSC_9481
DSC_9519
DSC_9522
DSC_9553
DSC_9576
DSC_9604

The Vermont Welcome Center is pretty great and Dylan loved the old tram out front. Poor Sean was forced to sit in that hot car for a long time because Dylan was just so thrilled to sit in it with the doors closed. Katie and I relaxed on a bench in the shade, having a bottle and talking to the locals.

DSC_9626
DSC_9658

Vermont!

DSC_9679

And then we were back on the road.

DSC_9702
DSC_9739
DSC_9764
DSC_9803

Our friend's cabin is up in the mountains and there is a long dirt road leading up to the driveway. Kate's reaction to driving on a dirt road was so funny. She was shocked and confused and concerned. Dylan was just waking up from a nap so he wasn't quite sure what was happening either.



I've been in love with this cabin since I was eighteen-years-old, and even now I am blown away by how absolutely beautiful the scenery is on the drive up that mountain.

DSC_9819
DSC_9844
DSC_9852

When we finished unloading our tons of crap Dylan proclaimed, "Dad. I hate this place!" and we all laughed hysterically and told him he would change his mind real quick.

DSC_9868

Once we were home sweet cabin we decided to go swimming in the brook. We suited up and took the short hike down to the water.

DSC_9869
DSC_9874
DSC_9882
DSC_9900
DSC_9929

When we packed for Vermont Sean mentioned to me that he was only packing one pair of shoes and I told him he should probably bring extra just in case they get wet. He vetoed my suggestion and brought one pair of sneakers. While were swimming Dylan jumped out of the water, stood over Sean's shoes, and peed on them. A whole forest of trees and Dylan pees right on Sean's only pair of shoes. Irony at its finest. This might've been my favorite part of the trip.

DSC_9973 DSC_0018

For the rest of the day we relaxed and enjoyed the serenity. The power went out due to a strong wind so we spent the night by oil lanterns having lovely conversation.

DSC_0113
DSC_0117
DSC_0128
DSC_0144
DSC_0156
DSC_0176
DSC_0199
DSC_0231
DSC_0248
DSC_0342 DSC_0406
DSC_0417
DSC_0428

I took over 3,000 photos this weekend so I figure I'll write a few blog posts. I think I'm stalling because I don't want to unpack our mountain of luggage.