Wednesday, April 10, 2013

On family

I've got three weeks until my RAI treatment and they are not going to be easy because I will be without thyroid hormone and on a difficult [for me] diet. But my best friend and her baby are flying in from England today. They leave to fly back home the day before I go into the hospital. Three weeks filled with such joy when I need it most. This trip was her 30th birthday present from her husband. We will get to snuggle our babies and play music and take pictures and walks. What I love most about her is that she can come over and spend the day doing absolutely nothing with me--and she may have to if I'm feeling overly exhausted without my medicine--and we still have the best time together.

I don't think she will ever know how much I need to see her right now and how badly I need my best friend by my side. Or maybe she knows.

I keep singing this song when I think about how much she means to me:

"Can you fix this? It's a broken heart.
It was fine, but it just fell apart.
It was mine, but now I give it to you,
Cause you can fix it, you know what to do.

Let your love cover me,
Like a pair of angel wings,
You are my family,
You are my family. "

My family has been so supportive throughout all of this, helping with the kids, making special foods, sending hugs and love in abundance. I know that even in isolation I am not alone because I have my loved ones with me in spirit. And I have been overwhelmed with how blessed I am to feel such love from my friends and family when I am at my lowest. They are here for me and I will be there for them.

I've been thinking about "family" and what it means to me lately. I have family by blood and by marriage, yes, but I have family by friendship, too. I stumbled upon this Jim Butcher quote the other day:

"When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching -- they are your family. ”

This perfectly sums up how I am feeling. My best friend is flying in today. Suddenly these next three weeks went from feeling desperate and scary to joyous and warm. I'm tearing up a little thinking about how much she means to me. She is my family.

I am thankful. And glad.