Saturday, February 2, 2013

Hallelujah

Sean took Dylan to a gathering at our family's house tonight and I wasn't feeling up to the hour-long car ride so I stayed home with the pups. Now, this never happens. I never end up alone at home without kids or a husband. I had no idea what to do with myself and I missed them immediately.

So I thought, what do I always wish I could do if my house was suddenly quiet? The answer is record music.

Since my thyroid surgery (I know, I know, is she really going to talk about her stupid thyroid again???) I still haven't completely gotten my voice back yet but it is much MUCH better than it was immediately afterwards. I was afraid for a while that I wouldn't be able to sing again but slowly I am getting to be my old self once more.

And so tonight I did just that! I sang! Here's a listen:


You can argue with me, but I think Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah is one of the most incredible songs ever written; so simple, so passionate and sorrowful, so absolutely perfect.

"This world is full of conflicts and full of things that cannot be reconciled," Cohen has said. "But there are moments when we can ... reconcile and embrace the whole mess, and that's what I mean by 'Hallelujah.'"

I downloaded this karaoke track to sing along to on iTunes and it cuts out some of the verses, but it was a fun project for tonight. The hardest part was trying to keep three dogs from making noise while I was recording and making sure I didn't accidentally go into labor while singing until Sean and Dylan return home from their adventure.