Monday, December 26, 2011

On pain tolerance

My wisdom tooth pain has gone from bad to severe and I still have a week to wait until our insurance will pay for tooth extraction.

I've been up all night sticking my fingers into pressure points in my face looking for any sign of relief. I've pondered vomiting and/or breaking my own nose to get the pain to stop.

I keep repeating to myself the epigraph to Eliot's Wasteland:
"For Once i saw with my own eyes the Sibyl at Cumae near Naples hanging in a cage, and when the children said to her, 'Sibyl, what do you wish?' she answered, 'I wish to die'."

Who knew such a simple thing as getting wisdom teeth in would hurt so. damn. much.

I'm not joking when I say I'd rather give birth, and I take back all of those negative things I said about Sean when I was nine months pregnant with a broken shoulder and he was complaining like a sissy that his teeth hurt. He wins. It HURTS.